- (4) Beef Shank (AKA Soup Bones OR Osso Bucco)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3/4 cup 1/4 inch thick unpeeled fresh ginger slices
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 red Fresno chile, unseeded and halved lengthwise
- 5 chiles de arbol
- 3 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons toasted coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted fenugreek seeds
- 1 toasted cinnamon stick
- 4 toasted Tellicherry peppercorns
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Finely crushed roasted peanuts, finely ground coffee beans, fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Step 1. Sprinkle beef with salt. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or chill, uncovered at least 8 hours or overnight.
Step 2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Heat peanut oil in roasting pan over medium-high heat until starting to smoke. Add beef: cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from pan. While beef browns, process plum tomatoes in a blender until smooth, about 15 seconds and set aside.
Step 3. Reduce heat under roasting pan to medium. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits, until onion is softened, 6-8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, Fresno chile, and chiles de arbol; cook, stirring often until mixture is fragrant about 3 minutes. Stir in coffee and pureed tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat; boil, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
Step 4. Return beef to pan, nestling into tomato mixture; add 1 1/2 cups water, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns. Return mixture to a boil over medium heat. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil. Transfer to preheated oven; roast until beef is fork tender about 2.5 - 3 hours. Uncover and continue to roast for 30 minutes.
Step 5. Remove from oven, let stand 15 minutes. Remove beef from pan and cover with foil to keep warm. Pour braising liquid from the pan through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a heatproof bowl and discard the solids. Wipe pan clean and return braising liquid to pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until liquid has slightly thickened and reduced to about 5 cups - about 15-20 minutes.
Step 6. Whisk peanut butter into reduced sauce in pan until smooth and season with salt to taste. Return beef to pan and cook until warmed through, 8 - 10 minutes. Garish with crushed peanuts, ground coffee beans, and cilantro.