Matty Matheson's Bacon Onion Jam
November 11, 2022 • 0 comments
From renowned Canadian Chef, Matty Matheson - here's his recipe for a slow-cooked combination of pasture raised bacon, onions, vinegar, butter and sugar to top your burgers or favorite grass fed beef cuts. We've made this many times and love it - hope you will, too.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- (1 Pound) American-Style Side Bacon, Hickory Smoked
- (2 Cups) Unsalted Butter
- (4 Pounds) Onions
- (1 Cup) Red Wine Vinegar
- (To Taste) Sugar or Maple Syrup
- (To Taste) Salt and Pepper
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat, render the bacon.
- Add the butter and onions.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally about 90 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and sugar to the pot and cook 15 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let cool and place in container and store in the fridge til you're ready to top your Red House Ranch House Blend burgers with jam.
Note - Here at the farm we eat a largely Keto diet and do not add the sugar in this recipe. 4 pounds of carmelized onions are pretty sweet all on their own. We suggest adding sugar or a tablespoon of Maple Syrup at the end to sweeten to your taste if necessary.